How many will join the Challenge?



Take a look around and get creative - make a video, audio, dance, or sculpture - anything you like!

Contact Nathan: sonnetchallenge [AT] gmail [DOT] com

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 29 - Sonnet #29

-email/feed users: if you don't see videos below, please click on the post title to access the site-

How Fortune smiles upon us - #29 on Day 29!

And I've decided to bring more people into the Challenge who have already put themselves out there by scouring online for more videos! Pretty cool stuff out there! Take a look and then join up! :-)

I've added Matthew Macfadyen, Rufus Wainwright, an ASL version, a short film, and a few other brave folks!

And in addition to all the videos, we also have a choral submission from The Antaeus Company and the William Tell Aggeler Opportunity High School (Chatsworth, CA). The collaboration connected at-risk students with Shakespeare's at-risk characters. These teenagers, many of whom have been convicted of felonies and all of whom have faced what most of us would perceive as insurmountable obstacles, worked with the ensemble members on the text. Below is their rendition of #29 - very awesome and thanks to Antaeus for sending the audio over!

Of course what I have is just a handful of what's out there - if there are other versions you'd like me to add, or have one you want to add, check out the "How To Upload" page above. Any questions - just send me an email!

Aggeler Audio:



a cool word cloud from a poetry blog: http://lv17.wordpress.com/2009/01/27/sonnet-29-william-shakespeare/




When in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes,
I all alone beweep my outcast state,
And trouble deaf heaven with my bootless cries,
And look upon my self and curse my fate,
Wishing me like to one more rich in hope,
Featured like him, like him with friends possessed,
Desiring this man's art, and that man's scope,
With what I most enjoy contented least,
Yet in these thoughts my self almost despising,
Haply I think on thee, and then my state,
(Like to the lark at break of day arising
From sullen earth) sings hymns at heaven's gate,
For thy sweet love remembered such wealth brings,
That then I scorn to change my state with kings.

As always - feedback, comments and creativity are welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment